Friday, April 25, 2014

April 25th


Today the sun was shining and the birds were singing a soft melody. It was picturesque! I decided against riding today, because those Buck Brannaman videos really got me in the mood for some groundwork and showmanship. 

I ended up out in the grassy round pen with a lunge whip for two hours. I spent some time grooming her fluffy winter coat, and then did some join-up to no avail. I don't know what the problem is! She trotted around, sloshing through the mud at times, for what seemed like forever. My head was spinning! She was giving me some of the signs such as licking her lips and twitching her ears to me. I tried several times by turning my back to her, but she would just stand there and doze off, paying more attention to her companions than to me.

I got irritated, but tried to hold my patience. I eventually got a little bit of a step, and immediately praised her for the baby step. I worked on our 90ยบ pivots that we will need to perfect to get that red ribbon this summer, and took her back up to the barn to hose off her dirty legs and feed her some dinner.

I put her back on the Step-8 supplement because I think she has been losing weight. It is so hard to keep weight on her during the winter! She was nice before and even though we have been feeding her hay all-throughout the snowy season she has still managed to shed a few pounds. I really want her to look her best and be at optimum health, so I have also planned to incorporate more cardio and muscle-building exercises - especially hills. 

I doubt I will get out to ride tomorrow, since I am going down to Red Deer for the Mane Event Expo. I am super excited and can't wait to see all these amazing clinicians as well as go shopping! I'll tell you all about it later!

No comments:

Post a Comment